1926
A change of schedule
In 1926, the date was changed to the third Monday. In 1911, the lodge had changed the meeting days from second and fourth Saturdays to the first and third Mondays. In 1948, December 27th was included for the installation of officers. However, due to the cause of unable to install the Master on that evening for unforeseeable reason, it was taken out of our by-laws in 1976, and at the same time, our dues were raised from $10 to $15 a year.
Centralia lodge #63 was again plagued with financial trouble on two different occasions, and it was seriously considered to sell the building.
VW Clayton Lavigne · Centennial Committee, 1990
1930s
The Depression
During the depression of the 1930's, the lodge not only lost members and income, but was unable to payoff the building bonds that were coming due. W. Brother Paul Peyton, Chairman of the Building Trustees, presented a plan, and it was agreed upon by the bond holders to defer payment on the bonds. This plan led to the dissolving of the debt and the bonds were never paid.
Early 1950s
The elevator
The lodge building plans had a shaft for an elevator, but the lodge had never been able to afford this luxury. In the early 1950's, the lodge was again discussing the possibility of installing an elevator. W. Brother Paul Peyton, through his connection with builders and contractors, knew that a good elevator was being removed from the Weyerhaeuser Building in Tacoma before demolition. W. Brother Peyton presented the plan to the lodge, and after discussion, the lodge authorized W. Brother Peyton to purchase the elevator, and a local contractor was chosen to install the elevator in 1956.
Installed 1956 · salvaged from the Weyerhaeuser Building, Tacoma
Kitchen renovation
Brotherhood at work
The lodge decided to remove the old stage in the dining room that was never used and enlarge the kitchen to better use the space. The work was spearheaded by W. Brother Earl Gullickson, assisted by many dedicated and hard working brothers who furnished labor and material.
1962
The scholarship
The Grand Lodge in 1962 requested all lodges to enter into a scholarship program. The Worshipful Master appointed a committee, and the George Washington Good Citizenship Program was organized and has grown into a very good annual program in Centralia High School. It currently offers a $500 scholarship at the college of the winner's choice, backed by the scholarship endowment fund, supported by Centralia Lodge.
$500 scholarship · George Washington Good Citizenship Program · Centralia High School
1964
Incorporation
The temple was incorporated 1964; the Articles of Incorporation were drawn up by the trustees with the consent of the lodge by Brothers Charles Dieckman, Lloyd Alleger and Joseph Daly; and were approved by the lodge and by the Grand Master, Raymond L. Peel. Those members signing were as follows: Brothers Chester L. Gibson, Worshipful Master; Arthur Andersen, Senior Warden; Howard Hense, Junior Warden; Hershall Waitt, Secretary; Clarence G. Hoerling, Treasurer; R. L. Alleger, Trustee; Charles L. Dieckman, Trustee; Joseph Daly, Trustee; James Benedict Past Master; and Frank Silvey, Past Master. We are on a permanent incorporated basis with the State of Washington, and at that time, the initial payment gave us a permanent status.
Incorporated 1964 · State of Washington · Grand Master Raymond L. Peel
1965 – 81
Temple board
A committee was appointed to study all rentals in the building consisting of Brothers Joseph Daly, Charles Dieckman, James Benedict, and R. L. Alleger. Joseph Daly was elected as President of the Temple Board on March 31, 1965; Lloyd Alleger, Secretary-Treasurer. Election on January 4, 1966 resulted in Joseph Daly as President, Arthur Andersen, Vice President, Lloyd Alleger, Secretary-Treasurer. Charles Dieckman resigned from the board. On January 3, 1967, Merret Hoard was elected to the temple board, a three year term; Worshipful Brother Ernie Kuper, elected President in 1971; Richard E. Nyholm, elected in 1976. On April 29th, Joseph Daly read a letter from the Grand Lodge in answer to Brother Daly's effort to borrow $10,000 at 5% interest, paying the loan off at $2,000 a year, plus interest, as the temple was again in a financial bind. This money was used to put the temple in good condition; installing a new roof, installing two new gas furnaces (as the old furnace was worn out), painting and waterproofing the outside south wall, as well as painting the interior of the south wall.
$10,000 at 5% · new roof · two new gas furnaces · south wall waterproofed and painted
1981
Board officers
Brother Joseph Daly was elected Secretary of the Temple Board in September, 1976 as Brother Lloyd Alleger resigned. In 1981, election of board officers were as follows: Worshipful Brother Ernie Kuper, President; Randy Roberson, Vice President; Richard E. Nyholm, Treasurer; and Joseph Daly, Secretary; and they are still serving on the board in those capacities.